Top 5 Elliptical Trainers Comparison Review
Elliptical trainers are all the rage these days. Walk into any modern gym and you will mostly likely find these exercising machines. Now there are even models designed for home gyms, which gives shoppers a wide variety of options. However, shopping for elliptical trainers can be a daunting task. There are numerous models to choose from, each offering its own set of bells and whistles.
Between comparing features, warranties, prices, and multiple sellers, shopping for elliptical trainers can be overwhelming. With this guide, however, you can compare top 5 elliptical trainers in the market. The suggestions included in this comparative review strike a good balance between price and features. Read on to find out how these five elliptical trainers stack up against each other.
1. Stamina In-Motion Elliptical Trainer
The Stamina In-Motion model is a mini elliptical trainer. While it lacks all the features of a full elliptical trainer, you still get most of the fundamentals at a very affordable price. Much like most elliptical trainers, this version offers forward/backward motion, several resistance levels as well as a display unit that shows duration of your workout, calories burned, how many steps you have taken, and distance covered in miles.
This model features a compact design, which makes it perfect for small apartments that don’t have enough floor space for a treadmill or full elliptical trainer. Whether you want to work out while watching TV or even in your office, you can move around this elliptical trainer with ease.
• Fewer parts makes it easy to assemble
• Low price
• Compact size
• Decent range of basic features such as adjustable resistance, workout stats tracker, and reverse motion
• Makes very little noise when operating
• This elliptical trainer lacks handlebars. However, you can use it while seated or standing close to a wall for support. On the plus side, trying to balance without anything to hold engages ab muscles even more.
2. Exerpeutic Aero Air Ellipticals
The Exerpeutic Aero Air Elliptical trainer is packed with more features than Stamina In Motion, yet these two models are almost the same price. This model from Exerpeutic may be a bit bigger but it’s still perfect for space limited situations.
The Exerpeutic Aero Ellipticals was designed with ease of use and comfort in mind. It has an easy to read LCD that indicates elapsed time, distance, speed, and calories burned. You can vary the intensity of your workouts by simply turning the tension dial or adjusting the incline on the foot pedals. The pedals are large and have ridges in order to prevent foot slippage. In addition, you can exercise your upper body with this unit since it has dual workout handlebars.
• Transport wheels facilitate ease relocation
• Supports up to 260lb of weight
• Leveler screws at the base can be easily adjusted to keep the machine stable
• Easy tension adjustment
• Inclining pedals for making workouts more challenging
• Equipped with computer and LCD display for tracking workout stats
• Handlebars provide better balance and allow you to get a full body workout
• Backed by a 1-year limited warranty
• Requires assembly, which can take up to 30 minutes
• Can be slightly loud
3. Schwinn 430 Elliptical Machine
Full featured elliptical machines don’t come any better than the Schwinn 430. This model is the ideal choice if you’re looking for feature-rich elliptical trainers priced under $1000.
The Schwinn 430 delivers an enjoyable workout experience thanks to its long list of features. You can listen to music on loud speakers mounted on the console or turn on the fan to keep you cool throughout a grueling workout. There is also a USB port for charging your smartphone or exporting periodic workout data to the SchwinnConnect Website for analysis. The double LCD system on the front mounted console indicates over a dozen readouts to help you keep track of your progress and fitness goal achievements.
Another unique feature of this elliptical trainer is the grip heart rate monitor. You don’t have to strap on anything to monitor your heart rate. The ergonomically placed handlebars have built-in sensors. So, when you hold on for balance, the handlebars pick up pulse signals.
Schwinn’s 430 Elliptical is equipped with a perimeter weighted, high inertia flywheel that operates quietly and smoothly. It also features large, cushioned articulating footplates, each with a stride length of 20-inches.
For those who want intense workouts, this elliptical machine has a ten-degree manual ramp that can be adjusted in six different positions. Besides increasing the incline, there are 20 resistance levels, 22-programs, and 2 user-defined settings to choose from if you want to make your workouts more challenging.
• Heart Rate Monitor and built in computer allow for goal tracking
• Easy to read dual system LCD indicates 13 workout stats
• USB port acts as both a charging port and data exchange point for transferring workout stats to SchwinnConnect or MyFitnessPal.com via USB thumb drive.
• Ideal for people of all fitness levels thanks to 20 resistance settings, 22 pre-loaded programs and 2 user presets
• Solid workout platform with integrated levers supports up to 300-lbs of weight
• Base with wheels for easy transportation
• Ergonomically placed static and movable handlebars provide good support and work the upper body
• Extra features such as 3-speed fan to keep you cool, bottle holder and loud speakers
• Comprehensive warranty: 10 years for the frame, 2-years for mechanical parts, 1-year coverage on electrical components and 90 days labor
• Operates smoothly and quietly
• Costs more than most entry level models
• Not ideal for space limited situations
4. Schwinn A40 Elliptical Machine
The Schwinn A40 is one step down from the 430 model. So, if you’re on a tight budget then this mid-range elliptical trainer is worth considering. Unlike its predecessor, the Schwinn A40 does not have an incline function, performance tracking capabilities, USB port or a cooling fan. However, it comes with a few extras such as a water bottle holder, reading rack, and sound system.
There aren’t as many presets in this model as you would find in the Schwinn 430 elliptical trainer. On the plus side, users can choose from six preloaded programs. Eight levels of resistance also provide a variety of challenging workouts.
Schwinn maintained the contact sensor heart rate monitor and angled moving handlebars in this model. Other features that are similar to what you would in find in the Schwinn 430 include articulating footplates (but with a 17.5” stride), the quiet perimeter weighted high inertia flywheel, and transport wheels with levelers. The Schwinn A40 can support a maximum weight of 275-lbs. Its warranty coverage is shorter than the Schwinn 430. Upon buying the Schwinn A40, the warranty provides 2-years coverage for the frame and 6 months each for electrical and mechanical parts.
• 6 presets and 8 levels of resistance makes this elliptical trainer ideal for beginners, intermediate users and advanced fitness buffs
• Contact heart rate monitor built into handle bars for easy stats tracking
• Easy to read over sized console displays 8 different feedback stats
• Handlebars for support and upper body exercises included
• Quiet running high speed perimeter weighted flywheel
• Plenty of extras such as water bottle holder, media tray and speakers
• This elliptical trainer wheels away conveniently for storage and has levelers that increase stability on uneven surfaces
• The articulating footplates in this model are a bit smaller compared to the over-sized design of the Schwinn 430
• Lacks USB port, fan, performance tracking abilities and incline function
• AC adaptor and battery sold separately
5. Elliptical Bike 2 IN 1 Cross Trainer Exercise Fitness Machine Upgraded Model
Slightly more expensive than Stamina In-Motion and Exerpeutic Aero Air elliptical trainers, the 2-in-1 bike and elliptical cross trainer is a multipurpose piece of fitness equipment. It doubles up as both a stationary bike and elliptical machine. You can transition to cycling by simply sitting on the saddle. Depending on your height, the vertical handle may feel a bit awkward or you may have to stretch to reach them. Nonetheless, this configuration allows you to go from stair climbing to cycling mode without having to stop your routine.
This 2-in-1 fitness equipment has an on-board LCD, which clearly shows how long your workout lasted, calories burned, your heart rate, speed and distance traveled. You have two sets of handles that serve different purposes. The center handles are static and therefore they only provide support and balance. The outer handlebars swing back and forth, allowing you to engage your upper body muscles.
The 2-in-1 elliptical trainer and bike from Best Choice Products is made of steel. It can handle up to 250 pounds of weight and provides a reasonably spaced platform that does not rock from side to side. You should expect some slight sound from the machine, since it works with a chain driven fan wheel.
There aren’t any preset programs in this elliptical trainer/stationary bike, but it does have a tension knob that allows you to try a variety of challenging workouts.
• Tension knob for varying amount of resistance
• Wheels allow for easy transportation
• On-board LCD displays basic workout data
• Moving handlebars for engaging upper body muscles
• Multi-functional fitness equipment (functions as both an elliptical trainer and stationary bike)
• Chain driven fan wheel makes this machine slightly noisy during operation
• Lacks fancy features such as USB ports, speakers and pre-programmed settings but gets the job done at an affordable price
Keep in mind that there are many other elliptical trainers out there besides those suggested above. However, this elliptical trainers comparison review can help to you narrow down your list to some of the best models on the market. Trainers listed above provide a wide range of price points and features to choose from, so you can be certain of finding a model that fits your needs. Before making the final decision, make sure to read user reviews and find out what other buyers like and dislike about these elliptical trainers.