Top 5 Recumbent Exercise Bikes Comparison Review
When buying a recumbent bike for the first time, choosing which model to settle for can be a daunting task. Much of this has to do with the wide range of options that are in the market. If you are undecided about which recumbent bike to buy, one way to make things easier is by narrowing down your options to high rated models that are within your budget range.
To help you get started, here is a top 5 recumbent exercise bike comparison review on some of the highest rated models.
1) Marcy ME 709 Recumbent Exercise Bike
The Marcy ME 709 is a magnetic tension recumbent bike that offers up to 8 levels of resistance from which to choose. Its basic console uses replaceable AA batteries to track and display metrics such as distance pedaled, time elapsed, and calories burned.
When it comes to comfort, this bike does not disappoint. It features a fully adjustable seat with oversized pads, backrest and handlebars. Your feet will also be strapped on the pedals to prevent slipping.
Users need to be at least 5’6” or taller and under 300lbs in order to comfortably use this recumbent bike. It rolls away easily on wheels for storage and weighs just 66-pounds. Best of all, the Marcy ME 709 comes with a 2-year limited warranty.
- Quiet magnetic resistance
- Comfortable seat with back support
- Lightweight and easy to move thanks to transportation wheels
- Step through frame design for easily stepping on and off the bike
- Strapped foot pedals and handlebars prevent slipping and keep you balanced when cycling intensely
- End cap levelers on back stabilizer foot keep the bike stable on uneven floors
- Lacks heart rate monitor
- Features no accessory holders
- Screen has not illumination light, making it hard to see in the dark
2) Exerpeutic 900XL Extended Capacity Recumbent Bike
Much like the Marcy ME 709, Exerpeutic’s 900XL recumbent bike offers cyclists 8 levels of magnetic tension resistance, strapped pedals, an easy to use step through design, as well as a built-in computer that tracks time, distance and calories burned.
In addition, the console on this unit will display your heart rate thanks to its hand pulse sensors on both handlebars. The display can be set to show one read-out at a time or scan through all readings in automatic sequence.
Another plus point for this bike is that it supports up to 325lbs of user weight. The cushioned seat with backrest adjusts for users ranging between 5’2” and 6’3” in height. When you are done with your workout session, you can roll the bike away for storage on its front stabilizer wheels.
This stationary exercise bike is also backed by a limited 3-year warranty.
- Extra-large seat and backrest with more cushioning
- Smooth torque cranking system allows for easy pedaling
- The safety straps secure your feet on the pedals
- You can watch TV while exercising thanks to silent V-belt drive
- The bike comes with two convenient transportation wheels
- It does not tip or move when exerting due to extended leg stabilizers
- No holders for your water bottle or iPad
- The display lacks back-lighting
3) Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike
Schwinn is known for offering affordable and feature rich exercise bikes, and their 230 recumbent model is no exception. This unit has most the features you will find in both the Marcy ME 709 and Exerpeutic 900XL plus more.
For instance, while the previous two recumbent bikes only offer 8 levels of magnetic tension resistance, the Schwinn 230 has a whopping 20 levels of eddy current resistance.
In addition, this unit boasts up to 22 preset workout programs plus 2 custom user settings for goal setting and performance tracking.
All settings are on the large size console, which will display your workout duration, miles cycled, calorie burn, and pedal rpm (revolutions per minute).
Schwinn designed this bike with hand grips that have integrated pulse sensors. So, the display also shows heart rate when you hold the handlebars for support. The console offers a holder for your kindle or iPad while still allowing you to see your metrics on the secondary LCD monitor. A USB port makes it possible to charge your devices as well.
Thanks to the Schwinn Connect platform, it is possible export your workout results via USB to the Schwinn website or feed your data to your My Fitness Pal account. This makes it possible to evaluate your progress, track personal bests, or share results with friends and family.
Other fantastic additions on this recumbent bike include the acoustics loud speakers for playing music and 3-speed fan that keeps you cool during intense workouts. To ensure comfort, the Schwinn 230 features a large seat with back and lumbar support as well as handlebars you can hold on to for balance. Although the seat is not padded, its vented design allows for good air circulation.
Users within the range of 5’2” and 6’2” in height or weighing up to 300lb can comfortably use this bike. Lastly, the Schwinn 230 recumbent exercise bike comes with an impressive 10-year warranty on the frame, 2-years for mechanical parts and 1-year on electrical components.
- The wide range of resistance settings cater for all fitness levels
- Designed with convenient water bottle holder and iPad rack
- You can listen to music while working out thanks to integrated loud speakers
- Features ultra-quiet eddy current resistance, so you can exercise without disturbing other people in the room
- Adjustable pedals straps accommodate any shoe/foot size
- You can customize the seat position for maximum comfort
- Transportation wheels make it easy to move the bike
- Impressive warranty cover
- No cushioning on the seat
- Display is not backlit
4) Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike
The Exerpeutic 400XL folding recumbent bike is ideal for situations where space is limited. As the name implies, this semi-recumbent stationary bike folds up when you need to move or store it. It has wheels as well, so you don’t have to worry about lifting the bike during transportation.
This recumbent bike functions using up to 8 levels of magnetic tension resistance. Its pedals have straps to prevent any foot slippage while you exercise. And, best of all, the flywheel’s v-belt double-drive transmission delivers a quiet cycling experience that is deal for home use.
If you plan to cycle for extended periods, this bike’s padded seat with backrest offers ample support. Handgrips with integrated pulse sensors attached to the chair protrude just above the seat level. You can also adjust the height of the seat easily to accommodate a user height of 5’2” to 6’2”. Keep in mind though that the maximum weight this recumbent bike can handle is 300lbs.
To help you track your fitness results, the Exerpeutic 400XL has a computer with LCD monitor that displays distance, elapsed time, calorie burn, heart rate and cycling speed. You will also get a 1-year warranty upon purchasing this indoor exercise bike.
- Foldable space saving design
- Easily portable using the transportation wheels
- Pedals with safety straps
- Stable frame thanks to extended foot stabilizers
- Adjustable and cushioned seat allows for a comfortable workout
- You have to lean forward to see readings on the low-mounted computer display, which also has no back-lighting
5) Exerpeutic GOLD 525XLR Folding Recumbent Exercise Bike
Another great space saving recumbent bike is the Exerpeutic Gold 525XLR. This model folds to half its size when you need to store it. Plus, the included transportation wheels make it easy to move.
Just like the 400XL folding bike, this Gold525XLR model comes with all the features we have come to expect from Exerpeutic recumbent bikes. These include a 3-piece high torque cranking system for smooth pedaling, quiet v-belt drive, extended foot stabilizers, cushioned seat with backrest and oversized pedals with safety straps.
Unlike its counterpart, the Exerpeutic Gold525XLR folding recumbent bike has a higher user weight limit of up to 400lbs. It also accommodates taller cyclists with its adjustable seat adjusting to a user height range of 5’2” to 6’5”.
The 8 level magnetic tension control system on this bike allows you to adjust the pedal resistance for an easier or harder workout. You can also see your workout stats on the LCD monitor that indicates distance, time, speed, odometer, and calorie burn.
Staying within your target heart rate zone is possible by grasping the hand grips on either side of your seat, which feature pulse sensor. Lastly, the warranty cover on this model lasts up to 3-years.
- Extended foot stabilizers support a wobble free workout
- Comfortable padded seat adjusts to a wide range of user heights
- Robust frame supports a high user weight limit
- Screen lacks back lighting
- No holders for your water bottle or handheld electronics
- Short front post means that you’ll have to lean forward significantly to press buttons on the console
Which Recumbent Exercise Bike Should You Choose?
So, there you have it – a top 5 recumbent bike recumbent review about some of the highest rated models on the market. While prices for these recumbent exercise bikes vary, there are many other factors to consider before making your final choice.
To buy the best bike, determine what really matters to you in a stationary exercise bike. This could be comfort, adjustable pedal resistance, ability to track your workout performance, goal setting features, or ease of use.
Keep in mind that recumbent exercise bikes are not created equal.
Every cyclist is different, therefore make sure to choose a fitness bike that supports your height and weight. It may also be helpful to read customer reviews on the models that most appeal to you and find out what other buyers have to say.